Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More information

I just spoke to the Service Mgr, who for the record, I think has been as stand up a guy as he can be given his situation. I found out a little more about the "incident".

From what ...


I was just typing those words when I got a call frome the company that will be doing work on the car. Apparently the service dept didn't want to help the tow truck get the car out of the situation. So I called the Service Mgr (who I just said seemed to be a stand up guy). According to him the tow truck was going to do damage to the car when he loaded it on the flat bed. So I called the Shop that would be doing the work back and asked them about it, they obviously weren't on the scene, but said that they had reasonable confidence in the ability of the company that they sent.

I called the Service Mgr back, asked to speak to the truck driver, and asked him if he could do it without damaging it. He assured me that he could, so I went ahead and asked the Service Mgr to let him go.

Nothing really wrong with the situation I guess, just more drama when there has been more than enough already. I appreciate that the Service Mgr is trying to be extra careful, again from what I can tell he seems like he is trying to do the right thing.


Either way, back to the original story. I got more info on thw accident. Apparently the tech (I know his name now) was comming around the underpass at Buffalo Spdwy too fast (a point the Svc Mgr made clear that he expressed to his tech), lost control and over corrected. I assume that is what spun the car arround and smacked the curb on the driver's side. He said that it occured at 10AM in the morning.

He also indicated that the top was UP when the accident occured. He said that the group lead (I think I remember him saying that was the gentleman's title) was a big guy so he put the top down to manuever it into the service bay. However, I do have a hard time believing this, as I attempted to operate the top while I was at the dealership. The only possible difference I can think of is that they were more willing to yank on the parking break than I was (and I pulled on it pretty hard).

I have to say, I will be taking a vacay when this is over for sure. It has been one big pile of teh unhappy. I still think they owe though.

The worst part about the process is how slow it goes man, seriously. 1-3 days for American Honda to call me back. I was felt fairly safe at first, it being a honda, but when I called them the service guy kept telling me how dealership's were individually owned and whatnot, so that was a red flag (sounded alot like "we aren't responsible" to me.

The BBB will take up to 30 days etc... and THEN all I can do is file a complaint with the attorney general, go full out on my own attorney for the situation etc. I just don't know if it is worth it, which is what they are probably betting on.


meh.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

please get legal representation.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm impressed with how you're handling the situation. Definitely don't just accept whatever bone they throw to you. Don't stop until you're completely satisfied. If I were in your shoes I'd expect no less than a pristine replacement. Definitely get legal representation as you don't want to do anything to shoot yourself in the foot (legally) down the road.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't keep this car man.. it probably won't handle the same without extra work that the dealer probably doesn't want to pay for, and you won't be able to sell it for what it otherwise would have been worth! Well.. if you take it to CarMax they'll still give you trade in value.. as long as nothing shows up on the carfax report (CarMax is a joke), but if you want private party value and a wreck shows, there goes at least 1500 bucks off the price

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only possible difference I can think of is that they were more willing to yank on the parking break than I was (and I pulled on it pretty hard).

that's not it -- if you haven't done any mods, the top will go up/down as long as the speed is '0' and the parking brake is up one click. (not sure if the e-brake light has to be on, or if it's just one click...but i only have to raise mine one click)

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do what you can without an attorney. You can always get an attorney at a later date as you have plenty of time to consider suing them. Get their best offer after all repairs are done. This is a property damage only case and few attorneys will want to work on it and fewer will know what to do. It's not a money maker.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I found your site from the Solsticeforum, and I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say that I deeply regret what has happened to you.

I have had a similar experience. The dealer I was using put my Solstice on the wrong lift and bent panels behind the front wheels. For a while, we did not know whether it was frame damage. I went to hell and back. I thought I would scream, and did many times. So, I am really impressed with how you are handling it.

I asked my dealer to help offset the depreciative value of my car, and I was told by the service manager "I thought I told you that this was mistake. Apparently I was not clear enough." If you are looking for some sort of cash prize for your troubles, you will need to look elsewhere."

So, I know what you are going through. I had no idea about insurance paying out the depreciation. I wish I had. I have my car back now and it is great, but in your case, I would be just that more upset.

Best of luck to you!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Get legal representation. Sue them for the cost of a new car, something close to that. They fled the scene of an accident if they didn't notify the police. Have you called the police? That'd be my next call to see what if anything should be done. It's time to bring out big guns or at least let them know of your intentions should they not do the following... and then list your original demands of giving you fair market value before wreck, or giving you a new one at cost, etc...
Do not keep the car. Make them pay.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm reading ur blog with great interest, this is a multi-million dollar lawsuit, i would fight them till the death, they might be upfront and honest (or so it would seem), bottom line is they wrecked your car, get a freaking ferrari/house out of this, sue the bejeezes out of them, go to the local networks, get legal representation (only if i was a lawyer i would so represent you for free), this is ridiculous, as a car nut myself (WRX owner), this makes me angry, i clicked over from jalopnik.com, and you are not overreacting, if it was me, i would've called the police, got a lawyer, and call the local news station, (shoot i would call CNN, and make it NATIONAL, cause it already is) and do what ur doing by spreading the word....gluck and you should settle nothing less than a BRAND NEW s2000 and 100G's, threaten them, car dealers think there so invincible, please fight for the car nuts out there (and there are so many of us!!)

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up with the BBB, they do great work -for- you. Fuck that dealership tho. I personally woudn't even accept money - it's gonna be a new car or broken knees for the family.

Whatever you do, don't give up. Good luck.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about it, but your story is making a lot of noise around the internet. It has been linked on jalopnik.com, by a guy called "Michael Bolton". Hopefully everything wil be taken care for.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Michael Bolton, I celebrate his entire catalogue.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you get all this figured out. You brought in a perfectly fine car and they wrecked it. Forget about that diminished value stuff and demand a new car. The car shouldn't have been driven in the first place, they have all the liability. If they don't meet your demands, take it to court or get legal representation. Don't condone this bullshit your receiving.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yet another example of how the S2000 is a great car but Honda dealers don't have a clue about how to support it or its owners.

Accept nothing less than replacing your crashed S2000 with a brand new one.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What assholes. My VW dealership comprises of a bunch of clowns acting like they know what they are doing. Call your lawyer.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fwiw after reading this blog I decided to get my 2006 Odyssey from Gillman Honda instead of R and S which is closer to work.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent show of support! Make it a point to let R&S know that they lost business because of the way they handled this incident!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mention your dissatisfaction of Honda Corporate's delay in their response, as though they're not responsible. Actually, they are not responsible. Your complaint is solely with the dealership. Honda may be able to put pressure on them, but most likely they will stay out of it.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for american honda...american honda isn't going to be able to do anything for you and if you file bbb against american honda they will tell you your claim is not eligible...i highly recommend dealing with an attorney and the dealer....unfortunately they are seperate entities.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home