Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Update again

I just picked up the rental car, and that has done a little to brighten the week. I gots me a pathfinder, it is actually pretty nice.

I also removed the contact info from the original post, judging by some of the things I have seen about this site, it just wouldn't be right to leave it up, and it probably wouldn't' do any good anyways. (edit: although really, none of the information I posted wasn't readily available for the public anyways)

On another note, I actually read some forums that ended up with posts linking to here, and I gotta say, it is weird seeing someone you don't know link to your site. I have also been accused of over-reacting once for about ever 5 times I have been accused of under-reacting.

I feel like I should make it clear, I sat on this for a week before blogging it. I waited for R&S to do something to make it right for me. I talked to the Customer service guy (the one who you deal with at the service dept.), I talked to the Service Mgr, I talked to the Sales Mgr and I talked to the General Mgr. I am not asking for the world, just to be treated fairly.

Beyond that, one of the reasons I went in there was to have a part fixed (the little metal plaque on the floorboard in the door panel, the name of which has for some reason escaped me thus far). The reason it needed to be fixed, is that they had scratched it up on a previous service visit. They had also scratched the surrounding interior panels a little, but I told the service guy not to worry about that part as it wasn't all that visible. I am usually pretty relaxed about stuff happening.

The other two things the car was in for were a valve tick at 3 -4 grand and noise coming from the rear end when turning with the steering wheel at full lock under (slight) power. For one the car doesn't need to be moving, and for the other, you only need to do circles in the parking lot.

I will be calling the body shop in a few, to see if they have picked up the car yet, and R&S to try to get a description (for what it's worth) of what happened.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

over-reacting??? i don't think it's even possible to over-react in this situation. if the guy smacked a curb with enough force to do that kind of damage, who knows how many times he bounced off the rev limiter and/or dropped the clutch in doing so. i would outright refuse the vehicle at this point and make them cover the spread for a new one. also, hindsight is 20/20 but i would have called the police IMMEDIATELY. good luck and may the force be with you.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, this whole situation just plain sucks. How is it that Honda has such a pristine reputation as a carmaker, but it's dealerships are total slime? I had a Civic that I took in for gasket seal check. As I was leaving the dealership, the mechanic says to me "Man, that's a rough-sounding idle", but still gives me the car. Within two miles of leaving, the temp gauge is buried in red and the car flat out dies in a Lowe's parking lot. Their answer to why? No clue. They'd need to take the engine apart to find out. Useless.

Good luck with this. I say make 'em replace your baby.

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fellow s2000 owner here, I was linked to your blog from the s2ki forums (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=413702).
We're all wishing you the best of luck Derrick.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a very simple solution to this issue: contact a lawyer, explain what happened, let the dealership know that you are either satisfied with their very next offer or your lawsuit will be filed against them for a whole littany of issues. What they have done is blatantly illegal, and may have caused irreperable harm to your car. There is no over-reacting, and there is no letting them bully you around. You get exactly what you want, or you own their fucking dealership.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, the extended warranty from Honda isn't very good. I would go so far as to say it's almost worthless. Apparently it only covers drivetrain and transmission. Your suspension, top, etc. will not be covered.

I think it is appropriate to force them to give you retail value for the car so that you can purchase another one. Obviously they dont want to take you seriously and are giving you the run around. If it were me, I would sue them. At a minimum they will have to fully repair the car wherever you choose to have it repaired and in addition, pay an appropriate amount for depreciation.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: the police report - in California, you are required to make a police report when the damage exceeds $500 or someone is injured. If TX has a similar law, and they didn't make a police report, the dealer broke the law.

It is VITAL that you get a police report filed - what if the driver got an injury during the accident and turns around and sues you, the vehicle owner, for medical compensation, in 3 years, or 5 years etc? You need to establish responsibility for the accident. and a police report will do that. YOU can file a police report, you don't need them!

I would never be comfortable in the car again, a damaged car is never the same; you don't have confidence in it any more, you have no idea what is damaged.

Yeesh, I was pissed enough when my local dealer damaged the paint on my 3-day-old s2000 (installing LoJack) and refused to take responsibility - I would have gone nuts on them.

File a Police Report - NOW!

Good luck.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: Noise when turning in a tight circle, that my be your Limited Slip Differential (maybe, I don't even know if the S2000 has one).

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

derrick... i'm so sorry...

i will spread the word for you, tho.

-layne

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home