Monday, August 14, 2006

Update

Well, the response to this has been great, appreciate all the people who get behind the little guy.

Here is a quick update of goings on:

  • I called American Honda this morning and filed a complaint.
  • I talked to their insurance agent, who has actually been quite professional and realistic.
  • I emailed Marvin Zindler (as about every other person in the comments suggested)
  • I found out that Russell and Smith didn't file a police report to document what had been done. This brings a few questions to mind
    • Who was driving the car? Was it even a tech? Did they have a valid driver's license? Were they sober?
    • When did it happen? I don't know, other than what Russell and Smith says, and obviously they aren't without bias in this situation.
    • Where did it happen? For all I know this could have happened 30 miles from the dealership, again, all I have to go on is Russell and Smith (and not even that, since they haven't bothered to provide me with that detail) I will be calling tomorrow for it, we'll see what they say
    • Obviously these questions could go on but you get the drift (would like to say thanks to John for getting my brain working this direction)
I think it is worth mentioning that "tone" is a very difficult thing to discern. This is not a witch hunt. This is me documenting my situation. I have heard from people that have told me that I should just relax and take what is given to me, and that I am being over dramatic for putting it on a web site. My response would be: wouldn't you want to know that this happened to someone at a dealership before you bought from them?

Here's what I have upcoming:
  • Call Russell and Smith and Ask for a detailed description of the accident including location etc.. I think I at least deserve to know that.
  • Ask them for the extended warranty. I actually don't know that this ever was pursued other than in my initial "debriefing" with the service manager the morning after the collision. I want to make sure they are a "no" on that. I did inform them via a complaint registered with American Honda.
Wish me luck

(I also, just deleted the service mgr's email. In my mind, he is partially to blame because it was his guy out driving my car under questionable circumstances. However, there probably isn't a lot he can do about it, and he has behaved fairly honorably throughout this thing (accepting responsibility for his employee's actions, acknowledging that his employee was probably driving like he shouldn't, and that the whole situation probably shouldn't have happened etc... I feel bad for the guy)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck dude, I have an S2000 myself and I've only taken it to service one time because of a leaking differential mount. It's kinda sad that I was scared of leaving my car at Honda because of all the stories I've heard, and this just makes things even worse. I love their cars, just hate their service techs.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pranging customer cars is not all
that unusual. Dealerships are
pros when it comes to dealing with
such matters ... and likely have a
standard-offer for such matters.
That doesn't mean you have to take
it. Frankly; I only consider that
their opening offer from which
negotiations begin.

Will the police still take a
report on the matter? If so; the
dealership would be nuts to deny
the PD access to the car & driver.

In the event that you have not
already considered it; ask the GM
or principal (owner) who at the
business has the ability to
negotiate with you (or your
attorney) and has the ability to
make *binding* offers. Otherwise;
you risk a Mutt & Jeff routine
(did to! did not! tastes great!
less filling!)

Oh yeah. In-writing - get
everything in-writing.

-doug

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This actually happened to someone who owned an NSX as well. Someone from the dealer took the NSX for a joyride and wrecked it.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49389&page=1&pp=50

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contact your local news station(s) and get them to do a report on your story. Certainly consult a lawyer before proceeding, but this will undoubtedly get things moving in your favor and light a fire under all involved to get the situation resolved to YOUR satisfaction.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put the contact info for R&S back on-line; I was just about to send them an e-mail explaining why they are unlikely to ever see me in their dealership or shop.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't mentioned, nor has anyone else, why haven't you filed a police report?

What would be the difference between what happened and a kid from the neighborhood stealing your car and taking it for a joyride.

Perhaps the police can "force" them into getting information that you haven't been able to get, such as the name of the tech who drove the car and where the accident occured.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home